The Think20 (T20) is the official engagement group of G20 bringing together leading think tanks and research centers worldwide.
The T20 is in charge of providing G20 leaders with evidence-based policy recommendations to help achieve 9 major global challenges. Thus, T20 consists of 9 task forces.
Task Force 4: Food Security & Sustainable agriculture is co-hosted by the Center for Transdisciplinary and Sustainability Sciences (CTSS) – IPB University and the Center for Indonesian Policy Studies (CIPS). Damayanti Buchori, Chair of the Center for Transdisciplinary and Sustainability Sciences (CTSS), IPB University, is designated as the Lead co-chair of Task Force 4. In addition, the team consists of 8 co-chairs, the coordinators, and the policy brief authors. More information about the TF4 team can be found on the T20 website: https://www.t20indonesia.org/tf4/.
Task Force 4 is pre-occupied with 10 major policy areas:
- Global and inclusive recovery from the pandemic through trade and global value chains in food and agriculture
- Increasing agricultural productivity to feed a growing world population
- Resilient food systems, sustainable landscape management, and nature-positive agricultural production that adapts to climate change and external shocks
- Rethinking agricultural subsidies to directly benefit impoverished farmers and to reduce trade-offs between agriculture and climate change
- Reducing food loss and waste in the food systems
- Food access, affordability, literacy and sustainable consumption
- Land ownership and livelihood of smallholder family farms
- Future of farming in a digital and data-driven world, and agriculture market information system
- Policies and infrastructure for sustainable small-scale fisheries
- Innovative models to finance sustainable agriculture
The Task Force is responsible for developing 15 Policy Briefs that feed into those policy areas. Using the expertise of the co-chairs and the evidence-based recommendations from the policy briefs, the task force is responsible to write the T20 Final Communiqué: policy-recommendations for Food Security & Sustainable agriculture for the policy-makers at the G20 Summit.
Furthermore, CTSS and CIPS have been and will be co-hosting various T20 side-events. These side-events are open to the public and provide space for knowledge dissemination and discussion on various food and agriculture related topics (e.g. food loss and waste, digitalization, smallholder farmers etc.). A multitude of guest speakers are invited such as scientists, policy experts, and social movement activists to think together about how current challenges can best be addressed, exchange knowledge and re-define the global strategy towards sustainable, inclusive, equitable, and resilient food systems.